Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A rocky start to the school year

Princess starts school tomorrow. Poor girl doesn't get much blog time since things seem to run smoothly for her and she is healthy. So, starting with her first....I'm so excited and yet, so sad at the same time. Excited because she is going to be going to an amazing school, almost like a private school within a public district. It is a magnet school here in our hometown, and the focus is bilingual education. She will learn to speak German. I met her teacher, who seems fabulous, and the school building is new and beautiful. Princess is totally ready for school, and I can't wait for her to have this experience. I wish Wild Man could go here too, but when you have an issue with the primary language (he is apraxic), you can't very well go to a school that focuses on teaching a second language. ;)

I'm sad because I changed my life and quit my job to be a SAHM to Princess (and other children) and my days of having her home with me, relaxed and having fun, are over. A break for me will be nice, but it almost seems like she is just too grown up already.

On to Wild Man, who starts special needs preschool next week.....I'm ready for him to go. He needs it, and since supplementing him, he is learning at a rapid pace. He is looking for social interaction and he will get it there.

BUT. He begins Monday and there has been no transportation set up for him and I've been told there is the possibility of no OT. If I haven't mentioned it here before, I taught special ed before having my children. And then I did inservices for teachers on the law - IDEA and special ed. I'm not a confrontational person, nor do I expect the school district to be the end all, be all....I feel as though I'm practical about what to expect after teaching for several years.

However, no OT and no transportation will not fly here. I'm dealing with the transportation issue first, and then his IEP meeting is scheduled for October. We may be calling a meeting before that because....well, no OT would be illegal. Lord help me....I was so hoping not to have to be "that parent" already! Wish me luck!

No comments: