Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Norah and Will


So I've had the run of emotions during this adoption process on what our family life was going to look like when we arrived home with Norah. I worried about how I would manage getting everything done for Will that he needed on a daily basis. I worried about how his special needs would affect another child who would also potentially need some extra TLC. (Of course, I worried about Caroline losing yet more time with mom and dad.)

Then, the rational me says - no problem. This will be good for all involved...I think everyone learns from having siblings when possible. I also really, really wanted Caroline to have a sister. (And this has happened...so far, both girls seem delighted with each other!)

Today, things got slightly clearer. As I cut up strawberries for Norah to eat with lunch, I grabbed a small piece and headed back to where Will was playing on the computer. I asked him to eat a bite, and he did...stretching his limits just a bit further than I might have normally.

Also today, both kids were fighting (AGAIN) over the same toy. Norah has decided that whatever Will has, she wants. So, I sat down on the floor with them and forced both of them to take turns with lots of help. Will was pretty PO'd at both of us, and Norah wasn't all that happy either. But hey, you know what? Caroline is such a sweet kid that she typically left Will and his things alone. Now he's learning some things about sharing that perhaps we've been a little too lenient on before.

Life isn't perfect, and neither are families. But in the long run, I'd much rather be this way than not at all.

No comments: