Anyway, the secret is that Will isn't using his feeding tube for nutrition. Hasn't been for about 2 months now. We do put meds through it, but no food.
Whether or not this is a good idea, I don't know. Will is underweight and struggling with the whole swallowing thing. The GI didn't question it...wants to do the scope to see if we can help him more. Here's what I do know...when we stopped it to give his tummy a break (reflux), his eating took off. I'm fairly sure he's meeting his calorie intake, but just barely, so he's holding steady at his weight, not really losing or gaining. We just calculated, so we're beginning to beef up his foods. I also know that if I begin tubing him again, his eating will die down again. Until we find out what's going on (hopefully with the scope), it seems as though Will has a limit to what his body will take, either via mouth or tube.
The good news is that despite his loud and sometimes painful swallowing, he's eating all kinds of things. Yesterday included pancakes, scalloped potatoes and even a stolen fish stick from his sister's plate. (which is something I wouldn't have even attempted with him) He followed dinner by eating three cookies and drinking a glass of rice milk.
So, here we sit, waiting for the scope. If his eating continues to get better, as I've seen it slowly increase in the past week or so, then he will surely be gaining. He was eating just enough before and is now coming into the kitchen proclaiming "Hungry!" He is so close!




4 comments:
Heather - that's great news. We have the calorie intake issue with Ava. We put real butter in anything and everything. I wonder if that's something you can do to beef up the calories for Will? I also let her have anything she wants no matter the fat intake. If I could feed her lard I would. Anyway, just a thought. Will is such a sweet boy! Have a good day.
Stace
That is great news Heather....I am so praying you will get some solvable answers when he has the scope. It is such a blessing that he does not need the tube for food anymore but at the same time I know what a scarey feeling that is too.
Give everyone a hug from us,
Love, Jen
sweet will. wow - i guess i haven't read your blog in a week or so and missed all kinds of news. i cried reading about your healing heart. caroline, will and norah are blessed to have you as a mom (Jim's blessed too!) and I'm blessed to have you as a friend. and i'm looking forward to reading more stories about will stealing food from his sisters! just what a bro is supposed to do.
Nei Hao, from China. Just think what Will, will eat when he can swallow normal! Too cool. Congratulations! Shan
Post a Comment