Wednesday, March 11, 2009
My healing heart
As I type this, Will just left on the bus for school. Something seems off today, he woke whimpering, which can only mean one thing to me...pain.
Even so, I've been thinking over the past couple of weeks about how things have evolved in our family. While I still struggle with days like today, and I still cry over the times that he is clearly having a rough time of it all, I've found that my heart is finally healing. I accepted Will's diagnosis long ago, though I may not have accepted everything it meant for him. As a parent, you don't want to see your child in chronic pain, nor do you want to think about how they might be teased or about how everything in life is such a struggle for them. The past year has been rough for me, for our family, and especially for Will.
But it seems like we are coming out on the other side of things, and I have hope that some of his pain issues are going to be dealt with here very soon. He is beginning to be able to communicate more, understand more, and be less frustrated and less aggressive due to frustration.
As for the rest....I think bringing Norah into our family has played a large part in this. In the beginning, it hurt to watch them together. To watch what she could do so easily and he had to work so hard to do not half as well. But it has also given me an appreciation for who Will is and what he accomplishes. I realized just a few short days ago that there is a change happening within me...that my heart is finally beginning to heal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Hi Heather,
I have tears reading your post...your three beautiful children are so lucky and so blessed to have such an amazing mom (dad too)! God certainly knew what he was doing when he created your family.
Love you, Jen
I am so happy to see you are coming to this place. He is definately God's Will. I try to tell myself as long as Joe is happy and frowing then so am I. There is always hope...always.
Heather,
I was so happy to read your last two posts. God is good and he is watching over your family. You have a VERY special family. Thanks for sharing them with all of us. Have a good day!
Stacey
Heather,
I know a lot about those tearful days, but I read that you are in the "right place" - appreciating Will for who he is, as opposed to grieving for who he isn't. And appreciating the strength and the diversity that he brings to you, your family and the world. Elizabeth's lessons have been strong in my life, and perhaps in a some small way, helped prepare you and your family for Will's presence.
Love,
Aunt Jaci
Post a Comment