Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day Trip to the Mekong Delta


Today we took a day trip tour to the Mekong Delta with two of the other families here. What a fun trip! I would recommend this to anyone coming here for an adoption. We started out the day at a temple Cao Dai (I think) for a quick stop and then went on to our boat tour. We took the boat to our first stop where we heard traditional music and sampled many of the different fruits that they have here.


Then we got onto rowboats and went for a trip in one of the canals, which was really a neat experience. We ended up at another island - I think - and watched how they made coconut candy and had some delicious jasmine tea with honey and kumquat.


The last part of the afternoon was heading back and having an amazing lunch in the Mekong Delta area. It was an eight course meal...we ate things like sticky fried rice, elephant ear fish, squid (which was actually really good), and scallop fritters.


One of the best parts though was talking with the tour guide...he did an amazing job. It was fascinating to hear more about how the country runs and what life is like here. Details that I'd rather not blog about, but I can say that we have no doubt we made the right decision coming here to get Norah.

2 comments:

Inch by Inch said...

Wow I love checking your blog! Norah is such a sweetie! Her smile really shines through. :) She also looks so relaxed with you guys.

I just had a thought about the arm-- looking at the pattern of redness I wonder if it has something to do with the lymphatic system drainage. We learned in anatomy that sometimes breast cancer patients who have to get those lymph vessels removed on the right side will have slight swelling of that arm and shoulder. It's not a serious condition-- just a side effect. I wonder if that's what is going on with Norah. Here's a link to an illustration of how the lympathic system flows. The right system only involves the right arm, shoulder, and head. The left side controls the whole rest of the body.

http://webanatomy.net/anatomy/lymphatic_system.jpg

Hope you get home soon!
--Darshani

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, I am so glad you guys had such a good day. I too just love reading your blog every day and especially love seeing all of the wonderful pictures. Heather I sent you an email so I hope you got it. I am still trying to figure out the sound thing on the skype but my name is jenny.lewis8. I can't wait to hear about your day tomorrow.
Love you guys, Jenny