Saturday, December 13, 2008

Hanging out in Saigon

Okay, so one more post before Norah. ;) Bear with me...we're using this as sort of a journal so when we get back and I find time to scrapbook (which may be never with three children...LOL), I will have some details written down to remember. I didn't do this with a couple of our other trips and then couldn't remember details that I wanted to remember by the time I actually found time to scrap the vacation. With this, we want to put as much detail in as possible for Norah...to be able to tell her about her country of origin and her history.

Today we went to the Ben Thanh Market, an open air Vietnamese Market. There are pictures at the very bottom of the blog if you scroll down. We went yesterday as well, but this morning we were more rested and went with some of our travel group. Things here cost very little...our American dollar goes really far. For instance, the outfit we bought for Norah cost us about $3.00 or 56,000 VND. We bought two small pictures to frame when we get home...drawings that are signed...for about 50 cents a piece. We've learned when crossing the street with all of the motorcycles, you look for a break and then slowly make your way across and let everyone go around you. We walk briskly, but slow enough for everyone to be able to go around you.

We've eaten two meals in the hotel (mainly because we've been so tired) and they've been very good. Noodles and vegetables, Vietnamese style roast chicken and this morning the free buffet included Pho, a type of noodle soup and other pastry type things as well as some fruit and coffee. When I went up to get the Pho, I must have looked lost on how to prepare it. :) A woman working here came up to me and offered to prepare it, so I let her and she brought it to my table. So far, everyone is super nice...very polite. We are really enjoying ourselves so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there my friend. I have been keeping up with your blog and just want you to know I am so proud to know such a friend with such a big heart. You are going to be such a wonderful Mommy to miss Norah! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Love,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Your Dad and I can't wait to see pictures of the two of you with Norah. We are so excited - another grandchild to love!! Post pictures as soon as you have them.

Love,
Mom