Monday, December 15, 2008

The First 24 Hours


Norah had her first bath last night, and she loved splashing in it.

It has been an interesting 24 hours. We left Da Nang, Norah's birthplace, and flew back to HCMC. It was sad leaving in some ways and knowing that we were leaving everything that she has ever known. Somewhere out there, we are leaving a birthmother who gave us the greatest gift and sacrifice of all...her child. We will forever be thankful to her.

The babies here all seem a bit shellshocked and really...who can blame them? I can't wait to see more of all of their personalities throughout the week as they get more comfortable with us. All of the babies refused to eat for a while, though they started giving in to hunger one by one.

We get to see bits and pieces of Norah's sweet disposition, and the nannies were right...she is a sweetie. That description fits her perfectly. We're pretty sure she can do quite a bit. Just from watching her, I can tell you...this kid is smart. She is alert and watches everything. She's pointed to things, let us know that she wants some of whatever we're eating (even though she's not had anything but formula and "rice soup" before!) and we're almost certain she can walk independently, though probably newly so. Each time we try to put her down, she walks a bit to us but then hangs on for dear life, so up in our arms she goes. She did allow me to walk with her in the airport with two hands and then one hand, and she was quite sturdy. We're fairly sure we've heard a Vietnamese word or two. At the very least some babbling. But for the most part, she's been silent.

We've heard her cry only once - and that was in the first 10 minutes of meeting her. Right now the best word to describe her is stunned, I think. Sweet and playful, but overall, pretty stunned. She does not want to do anything but be held, and hey....we're happy to oblige!

(LT - Size wise, she's busting out of 12 month clothes. As figured. I'm sure she's a 12-18 month sized kid. The 12 month clothes fit, but her foot popped out of the sleeper last night. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather and Jim, she is just so beautiful and looks so happy in that bathtub. I can't even imagine all of the different emotions you guys are going through but it is so nice to know that she is in your arms now!
Love you, Jenny

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I too was always taken aback when I would think of things through Devon's eyes....I don't think we can truly imagine how overwhelming things are for them. Devon was cuddly too, and I think it goes to show that he was loved in the time before he came to us and that experience of love helped him form a connection with us. (And having been a foster mom to babies I said goodbye to, please know that Norah's nannies will be OK and always be grateful for having been a part of her life). It will all come, and soon "stunned" will turn to complete joy...Norah will treasure you as Devon does us! And it goes without saying that you and I both treasure the gift of our children and will forever stand in awe of the blessing of having found them! HUGS.

Michele from P2P

Andrea "The H family" said...

Heather! How did I miss that you had a blog. I browsed all the way down. WOW!! Sweet Norah. I'm so elated for you and I was heart broken with you about the nannies. But..I gave thanks to God that they had those Nannies to love those babies just for you.
I'm so touched by your story.
Hugs and praying for sweet Norah to adjust beautifully to her most gifted home.
Hugs Heather,
Andrea (mommy to Luke and Hannah)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you!! Thank you for sharing your journey and your beautiful new daughter!!!!!

Mariah said...

Heather,
Her smilish face is adorable. What a wonderful Christmas gift. As the South Africans say it..."You Are Blessed."

Mariah