Thursday, December 4, 2008

Packing light is overrated


Before I begin here, I should preface this by saying that Jim and I backpacked in Europe for 2 weeks before having Caroline. We took nothing but what would fit in daypacks. I even had my hair braided in cornrows so I could skip taking a hair dryer. (So there.)

We make it a goal to take very little, no matter where we are going.

Now picture packing to stay in a hotel and fly (many times) with a baby who barely knows you. We must take diapers, formula, wipes, clothes - in two sizes, nonetheless - gifts for nannies, gifts for orphanage directors and agency workers, a large clothing donation for the orphanage, numerous medications, toys, and possibly some clothes for us if they'll fit.

So, what are the packing restrictions again? We each get a bag and a carry-on? Pay to check more luggage you say?

My husband is so going to freak out. Wait till he sees what I've packed. And I've only just started.

No comments: